Natural Plant Fibres have really risen in popularity when it comes to crafting Luxury Natural Fibre mattresses, as many people continue to seek an allergen-free yet comfortable alternative option to animal products.
At John Ryan, we have been leading the way by providing innovative plant-based sleep solutions with our Artisan range, and one of our favourite fabrics is Organic Plant Flax, which is actually one of the oldest agricultural crops in the world.
We wanted to quickly look at what makes this inherently eco-friendly Natural Fibre such a great choice for a Pocket Spring Mattresses, so that you can see how it can help you feel cool, comforted and supported each night.
What exactly is Organic Plant Flax?
Flax is a century-old plant fibre, which is incredibly hardy and pest-resistant. It needs virtually no fertilisers or chemicals, and very little irrigation during growth; which is what makes it so eco-friendly. It’s actually extracted from the skin or bast of the stem of the flax plant, Linum usitatissimum. It’s the terminator of plant survival given its low requirements.
What’s also impressive is that flax is pretty much completely waste-free, as every part of the plant ends up being used for different beneficial purposes. The oil pressed from flax seeds is used as a key ingredient in a wide range of products, not to mention the fact that the seeds are also a superfood loaded with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Of course, the best of all is that Organic Plant Flax fibre makes a perfect mattress upholstery material to get you a better nights sleep.
What makes it a great Natural Fibre?
You’ll have probably noticed that there’s an abundance of different mattress fibres available, and often a myriad of confusing marketing talk to go along with them. From buzz-word filled descriptions to manufacturers who can never tell you the specifics. it’s difficult to know exactly what you’re getting in your potential new mattress purchase. In fact we have been campaigning for mattress retailers to disclose exactly what is in their mattresses. Like we do.
|John Ryan By Design Artisan Sublime|
|3||Hairproof Cambric Cover|
|4||1200gsm Pure Horsetail|
|5||1200gsm Organic Flax|
|6||1000gsm Coconut Fibre Coir|
|7||2508 (2 tiers) Calico encased Pocket Springs [56mm] [1.40mm]|
Sadly most will not tell you as then you’d be able to better compare between brands. You can see below the kind of detail you should be expecting to see in any new mattress description.
|John Ryan By Design Artisan Bespoke 004||Vi Spring Regal Superb|
|1||1200gsm Blended British Fleece Wool and Cotton||900gsm Blended real Shetland Isle Fleece Wool and Cotton|
|2||Hairproof Cambric Cover||Hairproof Cambric Cover|
|3||200gsm Soft Bamboo||NA|
|4||1200gsm Pure Horsetail||1200gsm long stranded Horsetail blended with British Fleece Wool|
|5||1000gsm Bonded British Fleece Wool and Cotton||1000gsm Bonded British Fleece Wool and Cotton|
|6||1600 Calico encased Pocket Springs [ 49mm ] [1.28mm]||1720 Calico encased Pocket Springs [48mm ] [1.28mm]|
|Total GSM||3600 gsm||3100 gsm|
At John Ryan, our aim is to always help you see the true value of your potential new mattress, by making you aware of exactly what goes into each and every one them. The same can be said of our Natural Fibre Mattresses that use Organic Flax Fibre as an upholstery component. It has many benefits that make it an ideal choice as a mattress material, including:
- It’s much stronger than cotton, but also very soft and flexible, which makes the naturally tough fibre incredibly light as well as strong.
- It’s often used to make linen suits, which speaks volumes as to its cool and relaxed feel. It’s natural cooling properties can soothe any hot sleeper, keeping you comfortable throughout the night.
- It’s breathability and durability make it an extremely effective natural insulator, as is the case with our Artisan Sublime; which uses Organic Plant Flax as a supportive insulator layer along with coconut fibre. Giving the spring unit and upholstery layers a completely free movement of air
- It’s very high wicking, being able to absorb and release moisture incredibly quickly. So you’ll never suffer from sweaty sticky moments with this as a comfort layer, as opposed to cheaper polyester alternatives.
- It’s got the ability to help create a very hygienic sleeping environment, thanks to its unique antibacterial properties
If you’re looking to purchase a new mattress that is breathable, allergy relieving, sumptuously soft, and soothingly supportive; then look no further than a Natural Fibre mattress with Organic Flax Fibre.
We’ve even included Organic Flax as the primary insulator layer in our Legacy Mattress, which has been crafted with fully traceable 100% Natural Fibres to create the ultimate sleep experience.