Is the Igel pegasus gold a good mattress?
I wish I’d known about you before ordering my new mattress from Bensons! However I hope, nevertheless, you will be willing to answer a cheeky question.
I do not know the relative merits of each as the latter is showing as “out of stock” on their web site so it is hard for me to judge whether I should insist on getting what I ordered or keep what they sent, which does feel quite comfortable.
What would you do? Thanks for any help you can give.
Thanks for getting in touch asking about the breakdown of a Bensons Igel Mattress. It’s important whenever you’re looking to buy a mattress that you know exactly whats inside it, specifically the springs/”>spring unit and the grams per square meter. It’s rather strange that you’ve been sent a completely different mattress.
I am unaware of the exact construction of each of the mattresses you refer to, however we can still investigate the description and offer some advice on what to watch out for.
What I would do as well is contact Bensons and ask them to forward a written specification for each of the models. You would need to know the density of latex, the GSM of upholstery and the gauge or tension of the springs they use.
The Igel Pegasus features the following description:
- With 5cm of new formula iGel™ for that just right comfort feeling.
- iGel™ works with your body’s natural temperature so that you do not sleep too hot, or too cold – you sleep just right.
- The patented phase change gel crystal formula, with highly conductive ceramic was developed in America to absorb excess heat when you are too hot and release heat when you are too cold.
- iGel™ crystals provide advanced body support by clustering in areas of body pressure, while the Memory Technology in iGel™ relieve aches, pains and pressure points.
- 1800 pocket springs encased inside a protective foam wall, provide you with advanced body support.
- Breathable strong and stretchy mattress fabric provides lasting softness.
- Anti-microbial, anti-bacterial and hypo-allergenic friendly. 29cm mattress depth
Our Thoughts on the Igel Peagasus:
- Theres no density given to the Igel so it’s hard to work out its feel. if its 60kg which we expect its a soft feel foam that will be very springy. The just right feeling only depends on your sleep preference. This is a firmer feel mattress so unless you like that it really won’t be ‘just right’. We find this phrase a bit misleading without applying to your comfort preferences or bodyweight on the unknown foam.
- Whilst Hybrid foams like Igel are cooler than memory foam they are still heat retentive. That is how foams work. If you’re a hot sleeper you should avoid foams or look at 100% Natural Latex which is more breathable. Very hot sleepers should look for a Natural fibre filling like Wool or Cotton which are the coolest sleep surfaces.
- We can’t vouch for ‘conductive ceramic’ material in mattresses. We have never heard of this before or used it. Again we would recommend a more resilient and responsive fibre like Bamboo or Wool instead of synthetic foams.
- There is no gauge given on these springs we would imagine they are spun-bond FEPs. Probably a 1.4 gauge but we can’t be sure. Probably glued together.
- The mattress fabric is most definitely synthetic again more heat retentive than a natural Damask. It’s also a stretch cover probably the most basic of entry-level construction types.
- Anti-bacterial often simply refers to materials like polyester which are inert and man-made.
- The Pegasus is a one-sided mattress. This is its biggest fundamental construction flaw. This means you can’t turn only rotate. Often meaning your mattress will only have half the potential life span as you can only use one side of it. All mattress upholstery will settle over time. Which means that you ideally need to be able to flip and rotate it to even out this wear. This is impossible with a one sided mattress.
The Pure Bliss 6900
Even if they no longer stock the Pure Bliss 6900, they should still be able to supply you with a specification sheet. At that point you will be in a better position to decide which is the better product.
The Pure Bliss 6900 features the following description:
- Premium pocket sprung and pillowtop mattress
- 2200 premium pocketed springs to give exceptional support
- Sumptuous natural fillings of silk and 100% British wool
- Upholstered in fine Belgian damask fabric
- Made in Britain
- Exclusive to Bensons For Beds
- 5 year guarantee
Our thoughts on the Pure Bliss 6900
- This mattress features a pillowtop. We could never class any pillowtop mattress as premium for the simple fact that they are riddled with design flaws. Pillowtop mattresses feature a ‘topper’ that’s permanently stitched to the top side of the mattress. Not only making it a one-sided model but also leaving you open to settlement. Pillowtops are usually full of soft sumptuous layers like Wool. The issue is they will settle over time. As you can’t turn the mattress or the topper over when it dips in time you’re left with a saggy uncomfortable sleep surface and no way to fix it.
- The 2200 pocket springs indicate a dual-layer of springs. As the maximum number of pocket springs you can fit in a kingsize mattress is 2000. For this price point these will no doubt be synthetic polyester covered springs. Again they give no tension so we have no idea whether this is suitable for your body weight. All spring tensions need to be selected on what you weight, not comfort feelings. Comfort feelings are provided by the upholstery above the spring unit.
- It’s impossible to work out how this mattress will feel as there are no GSM’s given of the fibres. These could be 100gsm pads (ie paper-thin) or 1200gsm pads (thick and durable). Without knowing this you’re having to take a giant leap of faith.
- Belgium damask is a good mattress covering and should be expected at this price point. Breathable and resilient unlike synthetic quilted polyester.
- Nice to see its Made in Britain like all of our mattresses are.
- The Guarantee is acceptable for this construction method given it’s one-sided and pillowtopped.
So you probably want to know what mattresses compare to the two above. Before that, we need to clarify that we don’t sell pillowtop mattresses at all due to their flaws.
Have a look at our Artisan latex for a true two-sided 100% Natural filling mattress. Perfect for hot sleepers and with a whopping 3150GSM and 1500 Calico Encased Pocket Springs. This mattress will feel slightly softer than the Bensons Igel Pegasus but is entirely Natural with a longer lifespan (as its 2 sided) and guarantee (10years).
1: 200GSM BAMBOO
2: 1500GSM REBOUND COTTON
3: 3CM TALALAY (60% NATURAL 40% SYNTHETIC) LATEX (GRAPHITE FREE)
4: 450GSM ORGANIC FLAX FIBRE
5: 1000GSM COIR COCONUT FIBRE AS INSULATOR
6: 1500 CALICO ENCASED POCKET SPRINGS (SOFT/MED OR FIRM)
Comparisons to Bensons Pure Bliss 6900
A two-sided comparison to the medium feel of the pure bliss would be the Artisan Tailored Pocket 2000. Giving a true medium feel and with a dual spring unit with a tension-based on your bodyweight and huge 3950GSM of primarily Natural fillings.
1: 1200GSM BLENDED BRITISH FLEECE WOOL AND COTTON
2: HAIRPROOF CAMBRIC COVER
3: 1250GSM POLY COTTON
4: 1500GSM PURE 100% MOHAIR
5: 2000 DOUBLE TIER SPUN BOND POCKET SPRINGS (SOFT/MED OR FIRM)
Here’s also a handy weight guide for which spring tension you may require.
|Your bodyweight||This will feel|
|Under 10 Stone / 63kg||Very Firm|
|10-12 Stone / 63-76kg||Firm to Medium|
|12-14 Stone / 76-88kg||Medium to Firm|
|14-16 Stone / 88-101kg||Medium|
|16-18 Stone / 101-114kg||Medium to Soft|
|18 Stone / 114kg Plus||Please call for advice|
Lastly, when comparing upholstery types you really need to know the value of each one. Below is a table showing mattress upholstery from the cheapest to the most expensive. This should help you and others when trying to choose a new mattress as this will give you an idea of whether or not that fibre is within your price range.
|Upholstery Layer||Fibre Type||How it will feel?||Price Point|
|Recycled Fibre / Eco Fibre||Synthetic||Medium||Cheap|
|Memory Foam||Synthetic||Medium/Firm||Mid Price|
|Igel / Hybrid Foam||Synthetic||Medium/Firm||Mid Price|
|Polycotton||Synthetic/Natural Blend||Soft/Medium||Mid Price|
|Linen||Synthetic/Natural Blend||Medium||Mid Price|
|Latex (100% Natural)||Natural||Medium/Firm||High-End|
|Bamboo||Natural||Super Soft||Expensive / Exclusive|
|Horsetail||Natural||Firm||Expensive / Exclusive|
|Alpaca||Natural||Soft||Expensive / Exclusive|
|Cashmere (Pure)||Natural||Soft||Expensive / Exclusive|
|Vicuna||Natural||Super Soft||Expensive / Exclusive|
If you need any further assistance after receipt of the specifications, please call our office on 0161 437 4419
Kind regards Gary