What is a Pocket Sprung Mattress?
If you’ve just started looking for a new mattress then you may have read the term pocket sprung a number of times. It can be confusing when understanding the different spring types and support levels of a new mattress. How do you know which ones best for you? We’ve created this handy guide to help get you upto speed when looking for a pocket sprung mattress.
Let’s take a closer look at pocket sprung mattresses and why they could provide you with the best nights sleep you’ve ever had.
- What is a pocket sprung mattress?
- Pocket sprung mattress benefits
- What is a pocket spring count?
- Are more pocket springs better?
- Is a pocket sprung mattress good for a bad back?
- Are pocket spring mattresses firm?
- Is a pocket sprung mattress better than memory foam?
- How to choose a pocket sprung mattress
- Top 5 Pocket Sprung Mattresses
What is a Pocket Sprung Mattress?
A pocket sprung mattress uses a number of individually fabric-covered springs. Each individual pocket spring can work independently depending on where the pressure lies. So if you are a side sleeper then the pocket springs around your hips will be able to support you without the entire spring unit needing to compress. You may have experienced that bouncy trampoline style continuous open coil spring unit in other mattresses. Where you go to move over and the entire bed shakes and wobbles. Pocket sprung mattresses completely eliminate this sleep issue.
Pocket sprung mattresses help reduce roll together, transference (where the mattress shakes when one sleeper moves) and can be completely tailored to your exact sleeping requirements. Making pocket sprung mattresses truly customisable so you can get the perfect night sleep rather than settling for a one size fits all mass-produced mattress.
There are two types of pocket sprung mattress:
Pocket Sprung Mattress benefits
There are a number of benefits that a pocket sprung mattress can bring compared to memory foam and other open coil mattress types.
- Consistent firmness – As each individual pocket spring is enclosed within its own fabric sleeve it can hold at a consistent tension without other springs impacting its compression rate. This creates an even level of firmness/support across the whole of the mattress whereas other foam supports may feel softer towards the edge of the mattress.
- No transfer of movement – transference is significantly reduced in bed as the springs work independently. So if you sleep with a fidgety sleeper then a pocket sprung mattress can really reduce night-time disturbance.
- No Roll Together – As each pocket spring reacts separately and independently to any pressure applied it helps support weight individually. Rather than spreading the bodyweight support across the surface of the mattress which in open coils causes the middle of the bed to sag. This helps to reduce the feeling of rolling into your partner in bed. Zip & link beds can further reduce this ensuring a near silent nights sleep.
- Pressure Relief -Spring tensions are chosen to match your body weight and sleeping position (something which sadly most retailers fail to accurately advise on). This means you can get perfect support and comfort from your mattress. Rather than having a spring tension thats either too soft or firm. ie one size fits no one.
What is a pocket spring count?
Pocket sprung mattresses use spring counts to give you an indication of the number of springs and therefore type of quality support you may be getting. In a kingsize mattress, the minimum number of pocket springs is 600. However, you should be aiming for anywhere between 1000-2000 pocket springs. Any less and the springs get bigger and more unstable. Any more and you start to either shrink the optimal size of the pocket spring or introduce pretty pointless tiny springs simply to increase the spring count.
Spring counts in the thousands use micro springs and given the fact that a mattress depth is capped at 33-35cm, it means that the more layers of springs you add the less upholstery and therefore mattress comfort you will end up with. It’s a fine balancing act between the mattress support and the comfort layers.
Are more pocket springs better?
Mattress spring counts need to be carefully considered though as retailers will use them as a selling point. Trying to find even more ways to squeeze in insane amounts of springs regardless of what else they have to take out of the mattress to achieve it.
In a standard single-layer pocket spring mattress then look for 1000-2000 pocket springs. Also noting the spring wire gauge which indicates the firmness and suitability for your weight.
In a dual-layer mattress, then a spring count of 2000-3000 is sufficient.
If you see 4,000 pocket springs and more then be cautious you’re not falling for the spring count scam.
Is a pocket sprung mattress good for a bad back?
Pocket sprung mattresses can great if you have a bad back and struggle to sleep. This is because each spring can react independently based on your sleeping position. Furthermore, the fact that these pocket springs can be chosen to your exact bodyweight and sleeping preference means that the mattress can offer the perfect support level you need. Comfort also needs to be considered when buying a new mattress. So whilst a pocket sprung mattress will offer better support for a sleeper with a bad back, the upholstery then used on top of this pocket spring unit will be of equal importance.
Read the three guides below for more information on choosing a mattress for a bad back.
- Understanding Natural fibres Vs Synthetic mattress upholstery
- Choosing a mattress for a bad back
- How to compare mattresses correctly
Are pocket spring mattresses firm?
This is the biggest misunderstanding when it comes to choosing a new mattress. The spring unit does not directly correlate to the overall firmness or feeling of a mattress. Yes, it has some effect but the majority of the firmness actually comes from the mattress upholstery layers placed on top of the spring unit.
So if you’re looking for a firm mattress then yes you can choose a pocket sprung firm mattress but this is usually achieved with firmer mattress fillings and not simply choosing the firmest spring. Choosing the wrong spring can actually cause significant sleep issues and discomfort. So if you get stuck give our small friendly team a shout to help you pick the perfect mattress tension.
Are Pocket Sprung Mattresses better than foam?
This is a question that we get asked frequently when someone is looking for a new mattress. The quick answer is yes.
Whilst comfort is subjective the build quality of a pocket sprung mattress vs a cheaper synthetic memory foam model is considerable. Pocket sprung mattresses follow a far high build quality and construction method than foam mattresses.
Memory foams off a one size fits all support layer, there’s no way you can choose a customised foam support tension like you can do with a pocket spring. Also, pocket springs are far more breathable than foams allowing far better airflow. This helps keep you cool and night especially if you’re a hot sleeper.
Lastly pocket sprung mattresses can be turned over (if they are two-sided which all quality mattress manufacturers are). This means you can turn it over each month to even out wear and get a far longer lifespan out of your mattress.
How to Choose a Pocket Sprung mattress
Choosing a new mattress can feel daunting, especially considering there are over 5,000 mattress models out there. However, if you know what type of ‘feel’ you want from the mattress then that’s a good starting point along with your budget. When choosing a new pocket sprung mattress you need to find out the following key bits of information.
- How many pocket springs are there?
- What is the spring gauge/wire diameter & what spring tension do I need based on my bodyweight?
- Whats mattress upholstery fillings does the bed contain?
- Are the upholstery layers soft, medium or firmer feeling?
- Is the mattress 2 sided (it really should be)
- What is your mattress budget and what can you expect for it?
- What’s the guarantee for defects?
Our handy guide below walks you through all of the above in under 7 minutes helping make you a bed choosing pro!
Top 5 Pocket Sprung Mattresses
To help you compare mattresses and see what you should expect for different price points we have listed our Top 5 best selling pocket sprung mattresses to help. Each one of these models comes in a variety of spring tensions and mattress comfort levels. Why not get in touch with our small expert team to help guide you further for a truly customised mattress recommendation.
1.Artisan Naturals Calico Medium Feel Pocket Sprung Mattress
Our best selling natural fibre mattress, packs the finest fillings on a calico pocket spring unit, to create the perfect medium feel for this price.
2. Origins Pocket 1500 Medium Feel Pocket Sprung Mattress
Our most popular man-made, natural fibre mattress combines a 1500 pocket-spring unit with layers of luxurious fillings, for a soothingly satisfying sleep experience.
3. Artisan Bespoke 004 Medium Feel Calico Pocket Sprung Mattress
Handcrafted with 100% natural fibres and vanadium coated pocket springs, this tailored sleep experience includes an additional layer of breathable bamboo.
4. Artisan Bespoke Firm Feel Calico Pocket Sprung Mattress
Hand crafted with 100% natural fibres and vanadium coated pocket springs, this tailored sleep experience includes an additional layer of breathable bamboo.
5. Artisan Sublime Softer Feel Calico Dual layer Pocket Sprung Mattress
Ultra-breathable layers of natural organic plant fibres complement supportive vanadium coated calico springs, to create the most sumptuous medium feel sleep experience.
Buying a pocket sprung mattress means you’re choosing the very best mattress support unit you can. Pocket sprung mattresses should ideally be tailored to your body weight, height and sleeping preferences. Once you’ve chosen the right spring type and tension then its a matter of choosing the perfect mattress upholstery layers to get you the ideal mattress comfort. Don’t settle for one size fits all. You deserve to choose the very best mattress for your budget and needs.
If you need more help in finding that perfect mattress then why not give our small expert team a shout with the form below? Where we can help navigate you towards selecting the very best mattress possible.
We’re here to help
Check out our 5 star customer reviews
Ask us a question.
There are over 6000 questions and answers submitted by you on all questions about mattresses and bed problems. Enter a keyword such as Vi Spring, John Lewis beds, bad back or Memory Foam and see if your question has already been answered.
You can filter popular questions by the categories below. If you can’t find an answer, ask a new question below. We aim to respond to all questions within one working day.